BOULDER, Colo. (KJCT) – The man accused of carrying out what Colorado officials are calling a “terror attack” in Boulder appeared in court Monday as prosecutors revealed a sweeping list of charges at both the federal and state level.
Mohamed Sabry Soliman, 45, is accused of launching Molotov cocktails into a peaceful rally on June 1 organized by Run For Their Lives, a group that holds weekly events to raise awareness about Israeli hostages held in Gaza.
Accusations of Ideologically Driven Violence
Federal prosecutors have charged Soliman with a hate crime involving race, religion, or national origin, alleging the attack was ideologically motivated and specifically targeted Jewish demonstrators. The criminal complaint says Soliman shouted “Free Palestine” as he threw the incendiary devices into the crowd, injuring at least a dozen people.
Bishop Grewell, Acting U.S. Attorney for the District of Colorado, said Soliman expressed zero remorse.
“He said he wanted them all to die, he had no regrets, and he would go back and do it again,” Grewell stated during the proceedings.
The state-level charges filed by the Boulder County District Attorney’s Office are equally severe, including:
-
8 counts of First-Degree Murder (Attempt – after deliberation)
-
8 counts of First-Degree Murder (Attempt – extreme indifference)
-
6 counts of First-Degree Assault (at-risk victim)
-
2 counts of First-Degree Assault
-
2 counts of Possession of an Incendiary Device
-
1 count of Criminal Attempt to Possess an Incendiary Device
Soliman is currently being held on a $10 million bond at the Boulder County Jail. His next court appearance is scheduled for Thursday, June 5, when formal charges are expected to be filed.
Community Shocked by Allegations
The attack took place in broad daylight as participants, including children and elderly individuals, gathered at a public space in Boulder. Witnesses described a terrifying scene of panic as flaming glass bottles exploded near marchers.
Neighbors of Soliman in Colorado Springs expressed disbelief. He lived there with his wife and five children. One woman, whose daughter had played with Soliman’s children, said:
“It’s just scary to think… someone who seemed so normal could do something like that.”
Authorities searched Soliman’s home following the incident. The FBI recovered an iPhone containing messages to family members that suggested premeditation and ideological motivation.
Firearm Denied, Violence Not Prevented
According to prosecutors, Soliman previously attempted to purchase a firearm but was denied due to not having legal U.S. citizenship. Instead, officials say, he resorted to homemade incendiary weapons.
This has raised renewed concerns about access to weapons and how law enforcement tracks radicalized individuals who may pursue violence through other means.
Legal Strategy and Next Steps
During the brief court appearance on June 2, both prosecution and defense agreed to reconvene later this week to move forward with the official filing of charges.
Michael Dougherty, District Attorney for Colorado’s 20th Judicial District, emphasized the unity between local and federal prosecutors:
“We’re united in our commitment both at the federal and state level in pursuing and securing justice for the victims of this massive attack and the communities that we serve.”














