GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. — Colorado’s new hands-free driving law appears to be making a tangible impact. In the first five months of 2025, crashes caused by inattentive driving have dropped by 19%, according to preliminary data from the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT).
From January through May, Colorado State Patrol responded to 1,161 distracted driving crashes, down from 1,432 in the same period last year — a significant shift that officials credit to the statewide hands-free mandate that took effect January 1.
“The numbers are promising, but we still have work to do,” a CDOT spokesperson said in a release. “Inattentive driving is still a leading cause of traffic crashes in Colorado.”
Early Signs of Life-Saving Impact
CDOT also reported a corresponding 11% decrease in traffic fatalities so far this year, with 217 deaths recorded on Colorado roads — compared to higher numbers in the same months of 2024. While the agency emphasized that it’s too early to declare the law a complete success, officials say the correlation is strong.
“Any reduction in lives lost is worth highlighting,” the spokesperson added.
Behind the Law
The hands-free driving law, passed in 2023 and implemented on the first day of 2025, prohibits drivers from holding or manually operating mobile devices while behind the wheel — even at stoplights. The goal was clear: to change behaviors that lead to preventable crashes and deaths.
CDOT has invested heavily in public education campaigns around the law, emphasizing the dangers of texting, scrolling, or even holding a phone during driving. The law permits the use of hands-free technology like Bluetooth, but not physical contact with devices.
Distracted Driving: Still a Persistent Threat
Despite the improvement, distracted driving remains the third leading cause of all traffic crashes in Colorado. Law enforcement agencies say enforcement and education must continue to reinforce safe driving habits.
“There’s still a tendency for drivers to assume a quick glance at their phone isn’t dangerous,” said a CSP officer based in Mesa County. “But a split second can change everything — and we’re finally seeing people think twice.”
What’s Next?
CDOT plans to release more detailed crash and fatality breakdowns later this summer, including regional data and age demographics. The department says it will monitor whether the trend holds through the summer months — typically a high-risk season for road travel.
Officials are also considering the potential long-term impacts on insurance rates, emergency response times, and urban traffic patterns as more drivers adhere to hands-free behavior.
In the meantime, the state hopes its early success will fuel momentum for additional traffic safety initiatives.













