Police standoff in Pontiac ends peacefully after 3 hours

A tense situation in Pontiac ended peacefully on Monday afternoon, after a man who allegedly assaulted and tortured his girlfriend surrendered to the police following a three-hour standoff.

Suspect barricaded himself in an apartment

According to the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office, the incident began around 11 a.m. when deputies responded to a 911 call from a woman who said she had been assaulted and tortured by her boyfriend at the Spring Lakes Apartments on Pontiac Street. The woman said she had escaped from the apartment and ran to a nearby gas station to call for help.

Deputies arrived at the scene and found the woman with multiple injuries, including cuts, bruises, and burns. She was taken to a hospital for treatment. The deputies then tried to make contact with the suspect, who had barricaded himself inside the apartment and refused to come out. The suspect was believed to be armed with a handgun and a knife.

The Sheriff’s Office activated its SWAT team and crisis negotiators, and evacuated the surrounding apartments. A perimeter was set up around the complex, and traffic was diverted from the area.

Negotiators convinced the suspect to surrender

For the next three hours, the negotiators tried to persuade the suspect to surrender peacefully. They used a loudspeaker and a phone to communicate with him. They also deployed a robot and a drone to monitor his movements inside the apartment.

Police standoff in Pontiac ends

Around 2 p.m., the suspect agreed to come out and was taken into custody without incident. He was identified as a 23-year-old Pontiac man, who had multiple warrants for his arrest, including domestic violence, assault with a dangerous weapon, and probation violation.

The Sheriff’s Office said the suspect will face several felony charges, including torture, assault with intent to do great bodily harm, and felonious assault. He was lodged at the Oakland County Jail pending arraignment.

Sheriff praised the peaceful resolution

Sheriff Michael Bouchard praised the work of the deputies, the SWAT team, and the negotiators for resolving the situation peacefully and safely.

“This was a very dangerous and volatile situation, involving a violent suspect who had already harmed his girlfriend and was threatening to harm himself or anyone who approached him,” Bouchard said. “Our deputies and negotiators did an outstanding job of de-escalating the tension and convincing the suspect to surrender. I commend them for their professionalism and courage.”

Bouchard also thanked the residents of the apartment complex and the nearby businesses for their cooperation and patience during the standoff.

“We appreciate the understanding and support of the community, as we had to disrupt their normal activities and close off the area for their safety,” Bouchard said. “We are glad that this incident ended without any further injuries or loss of life.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *