Indiana Woman Charged After Faking Abduction of Toddler Killed in Alleged Beating

An Indiana mother has been charged in connection with the death of her 3-year-old daughter after authorities say she beat the child to death with a belt and then fabricated an elaborate kidnapping hoax that triggered an AMBER Alert across state lines.

Court records obtained from Maryland authorities allege that Darrian Randle, 31, of Marion, Indiana, initially told police that her daughter, Nola Dinkins, had been abducted at gunpoint. That claim, police say, was a calculated deception designed to conceal a brutal homicide.

AMBER Alert Discredited Within Hours

According to Maryland State Police, Randle phoned in a 911 report Tuesday evening, claiming her daughter had been kidnapped by an armed stranger while they were parked on the side of the road.

An AMBER Alert was promptly issued for Nola’s disappearance, sparking a multi-agency response across Maryland, Delaware, and Indiana. But as detectives scrutinized Randle’s account, inconsistencies began to surface.

By Wednesday morning, investigators had shifted course, treating the case not as a child abduction—but a homicide.

Nola Dinkins suitcase Maryland park crime scene,

Details Emerge in Charging Documents

Charging documents obtained by WBAL and WCAU reveal that Randle, during a later interview, confessed to filing a false police report. She allegedly admitted to beating her daughter between 15 and 20 times with a belt, resulting in the child’s death.

According to investigators, the fatal assault reportedly occurred at the home of Randle’s boyfriend, Cedrick Britten, 44. Law enforcement officers searching the residence discovered a blanket with apparent blood stains and the strong odor of bleach.

Randle reportedly placed Nola’s body in a suitcase and instructed Britten to dispose of it. Britten later cooperated with investigators and directed them to Perryville Community Park in Perryville, Maryland, where the child’s body was recovered inside a suitcase.

The park, located near the Susquehanna River and popular with local families, became the somber scene of a crime that has shaken the region.

Legal Proceedings Underway

Both Randle and Britten have been charged in connection with the case. Randle faces multiple charges including first-degree murder, child abuse resulting in death, and filing a false police report. Britten has been charged with accessory after the fact to murder and evidence tampering.

As of Friday morning, both suspects remained in custody. Arraignment hearings are expected to take place in the coming days in Cecil County, Maryland, where the body was found.

A Community in Mourning

While the investigation continues, the story has stirred widespread grief and anger in both Indiana and Maryland.

In Marion, neighbors of the family expressed disbelief and sorrow. “She was such a beautiful little girl,” one resident told local reporters. “You just can’t fathom how something like this happens.”

Social workers and child welfare agencies in Indiana are reportedly reviewing the case to determine whether there were any prior signs of abuse or missed intervention opportunities.

The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, which had issued the initial alert, released a brief statement expressing condolences and commending law enforcement for resolving the case swiftly, though tragically.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *